Stowmarket: Thousands of people expected in town for beach party and new mile race on Saturday
- Credit: Archant
Up to 500 runners will go through a town as part of a new race which coincides with a beach party.
Thousands of people are expected to come to Stowmarket on Saturday for ‘The Golden Mile’ race and party events.
Tim Larke from Stowmarket Striders came up with the idea to entice people who may be interested in having a go.
He said: “There are very few timed mile races in the UK and we are very passionate about running and wanted to share that with the local community.
“Running is for everyone, it can give a sense of freedom and achievement. Roger Bannister has inspired people for 60 years and while we’re not sure we’ll get many people breaking that record on our Golden Mile, we may get some remarkable attempts.
You may also want to watch:
“Whether it takes you six minutes or twenty-six minutes we want everyone to have fun and give it a go.”
Runners will go off at 2pm from Pikes Meadow in Combs Ford before going through Ipswich Street, around Asda and finishing at the Memorial Gates at the Recreation Ground.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 4 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 7 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview
Just as people will be finishing the race, the Stowmarket Town Council-led beach party will be kicking off. The coastal-inspired event is being supported by the East Anglian Daily Times and its sister title the Stowmarket Mercury.
After last year’s success the first 400 people will once again get a free ‘Stowmarket on Sea’ stick of rock.
David Marsh, events and entertainment manager for the council, said: “Last year’s event was great, but with the help of the Stowmarket Striders and Trust Maria, we’ll make this year’s event bigger and better.
“We wanted to create a day out that the whole family could look forward to and enjoy together.
“We’ve received some great support from all the town councillors, Suffolk County councillor Stephen Searle, the Stowmarket Mercury and our main sponsors Gipping Press, Bartons Bikes,
Vodka Revolutions Ipswich and Phosphene.
“Without all of these people’s generosity and community spirit, there probably wouldn’t be an event.”
The free event, which will run between 2pm and 9.45pm, will feature live music, donkey rides, Punch & Judy, circus skills workshop, a bouncy castle and a giant sand pit.
The evening will climax with an open air screening of the hit summer film Grease.
There will be medals and goody bags for all finishers of the race which is fundraising for the hospice Trust Maria.
Advance entry fees are £3, £5 on the day. Entry will soon be available via www.stowmarketstriders.org.uk