Stowmarket: Town’s poppy appeal donation record is smashed
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
The record total for a town’s poppy appeal has been surpassed by thousand of pounds.
Royal British Legion collectors in Stowmarket were busy gathering in donations during the two-week period held for the cause last year.
The final sums reveal that a total of £25,000 has been raised beating the previous record of £18,000.
The organiser of Stowmarket’s poppy appeal is Rachel Oakley, she said the level of awareness had increased.
“We’ve had a lot of support and help, we’ve got more people out there,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“It helps in Stowmarket to have the three major supermarkets where we had collectors based. We had the best part of 75 to 100 people helping with the poppy appeal in Stowmarket. When the collectors kept seeing the money come in it helped them keep going.”
Collectors went out on the streets as well as making door-to-door enquiries for donations.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
Last year the town’s appeal raised £13,800.