Students evacuated after chip pan fire in university halls
- Credit: Archant
Students were evacuated after a kitchen chip pan blaze at a university halls building in Colchester.
Two crews from Colchester attended the building around 3.50am today at Boundary Road in the town and all Essex University students based in the halls were evacuated immediately after the fire alarm sounded.
On arrival, firefighters found the blaze in a second floor kitchen and managed to extinguish it by 4.37am.
The kitchen suffered fire damage and adjoining flats suffered smoke damage.
No injuries were reported, according to Essex Fire and Rescue Service.
You may also want to watch:
Watch manager Richard Lark, Colchester Fire Station, said: "This incident shows how quickly a chip pan fire can spread and how much damage it can cause.
"Thankfully the students did the right thing once the pan caught fire - they did not attempt to extinguish it, but instead immediately left the building.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 5 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 6 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 8 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Town's first game of the season will be all-ticket
"I urge anyone who is cooking food in oil to follow our safety instructions."