Sudbury: Blocked drains lead to flooding at family home
- Credit: Archant
A young family forced out of their home by flooding has appealed for the authorities’ help as they face up to yet another month of disruption.
Lewis Hunt, his partner Gemma Wintin and their two young children saw their house in Sudbury overcome by around a foot of floodwater in June due to overflowing drains at the front and rear of their home.
Two other properties were also flooded out, with the end-of-terrace houses in Raleigh Road all sitting on low ground.
Suffolk County Council says the drains in Raleigh Road are especially difficult, while they are going to dig up the road and explore the problem to come up with a solution.
Miss Wintin was alone with her two young children on June 29 when the water started pouring in.
“It was like a brown river coming down the garden,” she said.
“We rung the police, fire and council and they didn’t come out - three authorities didn’t want to know.”
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 6 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 7 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 8 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 9 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 10 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
The couple rent the house privately and had hoped to stay there long-term, but are now living with Miss Wintin’s parents.
Mr Hunt estimates the flooding has caused at least £5,000 worth of damage, but an insurance assessment has still not been carried out seven weeks after the incident.
A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said the council has a schedule for clearing drains, while engineers are sent to deal with flooded areas as quickly as possible.
He added: “We have, however, experienced particular difficulties in Raleigh Road.
“Our attempts to flush out the drainage pipes have been complicated by particular T junctions in the pipework. We’ve also sent cameras down but, again, haven’t been able to identify and clear any blockages.
“We’re now planning to excavate the ground and, potentially, build a chamber over the trouble spot so that we can access the pipework when we need to. We’re confident this will rectify the situation.”
Jackie Clarke, who lives next door, has lived at her property for 38 years and said she had been flooded three times before - twice in a week in 1987 and again in 2005.
She added: “It’s the drains, we all know that - they are inadequate. These houses should never have been built.”