Sudbury: Entrance to Belle Vue Park given colourful revamp
- Credit: Archant
THE entrance to a much-loved park has been brightened up in a bid to attract visitors.
Belle Vue Park in Sudbury has been described as a ‘hidden gem’ because the main gateway to the park is not clear enough.
Visitors say they can’t find the way in, while people living nearby have criticised the area for being shabby and in need of renovation.
So Babergh District Council, Sudbury Town Council and The Landscape Group – which carries out maintenance work at the park – worked together on ideas for improving the entrance, which has now been redesigned with a striking mural.
The space that advertised the organisations and attractions in the park has also been turned into a feature.
You may also want to watch:
Local graffiti artist Sim Menzies, who has his artwork prominently displayed in other parts of Belle Vue and the newly renovated BMX Park next door, added his expertise to the redesign concept. As part of the revamp, old, unsightly hoardings and signs were been removed and Sim covered the entrance wall with colourful artwork.
Local firm MTM Tool Hire supplied crowd control barriers and a henchman platform to enable Sim to safely paint to the full height of the hoardings, and the final masterpiece was officially unveiled on Friday.
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Body found in the River Orwell
- 5 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 6 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 7 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 8 What has changed in Woodbridge over lockdown?
- 9 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 10 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
Landscape Group contract manager Graham Masters said: “The current entrance has been in need of renovation for some time and many have said that the entrance is unclear.
“Even my wife regularly does two or three circuits trying to remember how to get into the park. Through consultation with park users, we have jointly developed a concept that we are confident will help attract people to the entrance and advertise the organisations that reside in the park.”
Town clerk Sue Brotherwood added: “Belle Vue Park is the hidden jewel in Sudbury’s crown and this artwork will certainly help to ensure everyone knows where it is. As well as giving people a better idea about what is in the park in terms of facilities, the revamp has brightened up what was a very dingy area.”