Sudbury Horse and Groom landlord is fined for screening Sky Premier League football matches
The landlord of the Horse and Groom pub in Sudbury has been fined more than £2,000 after screening Premier League football matches without paying.
Vaughan Evans, of the East Street pub, failed to turn up to Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court yesterday so the case was dealt with in his absence. He faced charges of dishonestly screening the games in his pub with intent to avoid payment on four occasions between August and October last year.
Andrew Johnson, prosecuting on behalf of the Federation Against Copyright Theft, said investigator Roy Stevens went to the pub in March last year and discovered a live game on Sky Sports One was being shown.
The court was told that following a number of attempts, the investigator spoke with Evans in June.
“On that day he said to the investigator he had been receiving letters about showing football and he was fed up about being threatened,” Mr Johnson said. He told the investigator he was using foreign broadcast channels, but when he returned in August the Sky Sports logo was on the screen during the Liverpool versus Southampton Premier League match.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard there was no agreement in place for Evans to show the games and the monthly fee would have been £600.49 a month.
He was fined £600 for each offence and ordered to pay costs of £2,193.54 and a victim surcharge of £60.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 6 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 9 Restaurant launches giant cheesecake and cookie company
- 10 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash