Sudbury: Steam rally organisers get behind Spirit of Sudbury campaign
ORGANISERS of a much- loved annual steam rally have thrown their weight behind a growing community fundraising campaign.
Proceeds from the Monks Eleigh Bygones Collections Club’s event to be held in June will go towards the Spirit of Sudbury (SoS) Campaign, which is looking to raise up to £20,000 for local organisations.
The rally, which takes place at the old airfield in Great Waldingfield, has been running for many years and attracts hundreds of visitors over two days. This year’s event will feature an array of steam engines, cars, motorcycles, stationary engines, vintage vehicles, stalls and children’s entertainment. There will also be a full programme of ring events.
Mike King, club committee member, said: “The rally has gone from strength to strength each year and this year’s looks set to be one of the best yet.
“We attract hundreds of people from across the region and beyond. Each year we raise money for local good causes and the SoS campaign is supporting local groups, so it seemed a perfect initiative to support.”
You may also want to watch:
Last year, the campaign raised £10,000 for Helping Hands, a Sudbury charity which supports adults with learning disabilities.
The 2012/13 campaign has been expanded to support the Quay Theatre, Go START, The Eden’s Project, AFC Grassroots and Helping Hands. For details, call Sudbury Town Council on 01787 372331.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks