New beach café set for Felixstowe seafront
- Credit: Plaice Design Co
The exciting proposal has been drawn up by Suffolk Coastal council – and plans have already been submitted for approval.
The new café will be built in Martello Park in the heart of Felixstowe South Seafront, between the promenade and Manor Terrace.
The design will be based around strong coastal themes and sympathetically balances its sensitive location while also being an iconic visual draw to the area.
The proposal was drawn up after an engagement event was held by Suffolk Coastal District Council, through Felixstowe Forward, in July to seek the views of local people about plans for Felixstowe’s future.
This gave the council an opportunity to present the proposed plan for the South Seafront to the local community and gain important and valuable feedback. The majority of the feedback received was positive and supportive.
You may also want to watch:
Geoff Holdcroft, cabinet member with responsibility for economic development, said: “This is one of those rare occasions where the council is the developer, and just like other developers, we need to go through the democratic planning process.
“A lot is happening in Felixstowe at the moment, and Suffolk Coastal has invested a lot in revitalising the town. We believe it is vital that we continue to build on this investment and create developments that benefit local people and visitors to the area.”
- 1 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 4 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 5 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 6 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 8 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 10 Mega theme park plans 'could add to Essex traffic problems'
The proposed area for the development has been designated for a café since the first planning approval in 2009 and again in the implemented 2012 proposals. Although it was not part of the planning permission at the time, it formed a part of the masterplan for the housing developments and Martello Park.
The council has since created a substantial and very popular play area at Martello Park and invested in the long term maintenance of its historic Martello Tower which forms the centrepiece of the park.
To view the planning application, visit the council’s planning portal and search for DC/18/3173/FUL.