Suffolk enjoys a safe Halloween

SUFFOLK enjoyed a safe Halloween with fewer incidents for police to deal with than last year.

Anthony Bond

SUFFOLK enjoyed a safe Halloween with fewer incidents for police to deal with than last year.

Between 6am on Saturday and 6am today, 564 events were created by Suffolk Constabulary to respond to calls. During the same period last year, 733 events were created. The force says it is usual to expect event volumes to be in the 400s or 500s on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Inspector Mark Larner said, “Overall, whilst it was still a busy night, it seems the majority of people heeded our advice to enjoy themselves, respect others and stay safe on Halloween. From 9am yesterday until 6am this morning, 51 events were directly attributable to Halloween, compared to 55 events last year. Again, this year the problems were mainly egg-throwing, rowdy groups of youths and fireworks being thrown.


You may also want to watch:


“Extra officers were on patrol and were supported by Safer Neighbourhood Team officers, providing resilience to respond to the extra events. They were able to provide additional reassurance to the public on a night out in town centres as well as to communities as children and young people went trick or treating.

“There were no significant Halloween-related incidents and no Halloween-related arrests.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus