Suffolk family's grief and prayers

A DEVASTATED couple were last night grieving for one son while praying for the life of his brother after the pair were overcome by fumes following a gas leak in their home.

A DEVASTATED couple were last night grieving for one son while praying for the life of his brother after the pair were overcome by fumes following a gas leak in their home.

Brothers Kelvin and Kevin Massey were left unconscious after being overcome by fumes from a gas fire at their home behind the Bush Inn at Shimpling near Sudbury, on Sunday.

Kelvin, who would have been 21 tomorrowdied at the scene and his younger brother Kevin is in an intensive care unit at the James Paget Hospital, near Gorleston.

Their parents Jo and Sue Massey, who have run the Bush Inn for several years, are now mourning the death of Kelvin while praying his younger teenage brother Kevin can pull through.


You may also want to watch:


Last night family friend and Minister of the Fressingfield Baptist Church, near Eye, David Steere issued a statement of behalf of the devastated family.

It said: "Kelvin and Kevin Massey were victims of a tragic accident while in their room at the Bush Inn on Sunday morning, where they were overcome with fumes from a gas fire.

Most Read

"Very sadly Kelvin, who would have been 21 on Wednesday has died. Kevin is gravely ill in the intensive care unit at the James Paget Hospital.

"Their father and mother, Jo and Sue Massey, and brother Michael, are very appreciative of the support they are receiving from family and friends and especially ask for prayers for Kevin.

"They fully understand the interest of the media, but are sure that their request for privacy to grieve for Kelvin and to give their much needed support to Kevin at this time will be respected."

Mr Steere, who got to know the family when they lived in Fressingfield before moving Shimpling, described the brothers as "close as peas in a pod."

He added: "They were and are both very good lads and where very close brothers. They have received great love and support throughout their lives from their mum and dad. As they are all so close this has hit the family very hard and it is a loss and tragedy beyond what words can describe."

The horrific event unfolded in the small and quiet village when police were called to the property at around 11.30am on Sunday morning after reports that the brothers had been found unconscious.

Although Kelvin died at the scene, Kevin was taken by ambulance to the West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds, but was later transferred to the James Pageant Hospital for treatment in a decompression chamber.

Last night his condition was described as "poorly".

Churchwarden Diana Banks said: "The whole thing is absolutely ghastly and our hearts go out to the family. The pub is the heart of the community and I am sure everyone in Shimpling will be absolutely devastated."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus