Firefighters save thatched cottage after serious chimney fire
PUBLISHED: 11:15 17 November 2018 | UPDATED: 16:34 17 November 2018
Firefighters have saved a historic thatched cottage tonight after a serious fire started in the chimney of the house.
Eleven firecrews were called to the scene of the blaze in Wickhambrook at 7.53pm this evening, near Bury St Edmunds and after fighting the blaze for two hours, they successfully dowsed the flames.
It is believed that the fire originated from the chimney of the property and 20% of the thatch roof was damaged during the fire.
Crew members were seen stripping thatch from the roof of the historic cottage to try to save the house as smoke bellowed from the thatch.
Residents reported seeing several fire engines driving at speed towards the scene and well wishers have taken to social media to send their thoughts to the residents of the property.
One eye witness said: “It was horrid. The road didn’t open until late.”
The police were are also in attendance and closed the road in both direction while firecrews attended the scene.
The house is opposite Wickhambrook Community Primary school on the B1063, otherwise known as Shop Hill.
The fire service mobilised engines from Clare, Haverhill, Wickhambrook, Bury St Edmunds, Ixworth, and Newmarket and the incident was over by 10.12pm.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.