Firefighters rescue dog from icy Suffolk lake - and say it would have died without its husky genes
- Credit: Archant
A pet dog narrowly escaped an icy fate – thanks to its husky ancestry and the bravery of Suffolk firefighters.
Mole, a female labrador/husky cross was on a walk with its owner Hermione Clarke in the countryside between Great Glemham and Framlingham this afternoon when it ventured onto an icy lake.
The ice broke and Mole plunged into the near-freezing water, which was around 4ft deep.
Hermione, 17, who lives in Laxfield and attends Thomas Mills High School in Framlingham, said she started to “panic and look for things to throw in the water”.
She then called her brother and father who arrived with heavier objects to break the ice and rescue Mole - but none worked.
You may also want to watch:
With options running out, the family called Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, which sent a crew from Saxmundham and two from Princes Street, Ipswich, including a specialist rescue team.
Station commander Russell Punchard said a specialist firefighter waded into the water tethered to the land and was able to rescue the dog.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
“After this cold snap, it’s very dangerous in the water,” he added.
Firefighters told Hermione that without its husky genes, Mole was unlikely to have survived the cold for so long.
Hermione has praised the firefighters for being so helpful. She also advises other dog owners not to take their pet near to icy water without a lead. Mole was given a blanket to warm up and will be taken for a check-up at the vets.