Suffolk: Joint fire and police station opened in Ixworth
A JOINT fire and police station which is expected to save almost �350,000 over 10 years has been opened.
Police and crime commissioner, Tim Passmore and Suffolk County Council cabinet member Colin Spence, have officially unveiled Ixworth Fire and Police Station.
Operating costs savings for both emergency services is expected to be �25,000 a year.
Suffolk police should also save �88,000 over ten years through a reduction in maintenance costs.
The county council says the newly refurbished facility has been designed to maximise the use of public property assets, reduce operating costs, improve services and maintain a high profile presence.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Passmore said he thought the station was a “fantastic facility”.
He said: “It’s a huge privilege for me to be here as Suffolk police and crime commissioner. It is wonderful to be in a rural area as well. “It’s a great example for the people of Suffolk as everybody in the public sector takes the future of rural locations very seriously indeed. It’s a great example of what will happen in the future and it makes great common sense.”
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 3 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 5 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 6 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 7 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 8 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 9 Mike Bacon: Oh, what have we done to deserve this?
- 10 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
Mr Spence said: “I’m really proud to see the police and the fire and rescue service working so closely together to provide this service.”
He said it was really important to maintain services in the community.
The council’s cabinet agreed last year to jointly fund the shared bases at fire stations in the villages of Debenham, Elmswell and Ixworth.
Ixworth’s station is the first of the three to be completed.
The project follows Framlingham Fire and Police Station which was opened in 2011.