Post-mortem investigation to take place following ‘unexplained’ death

Acheson Way in Aldeburgh, where police are investigaring an unexplained death Picture: ANDREW HIRST

Acheson Way in Aldeburgh, where police are investigaring an unexplained death Picture: ANDREW HIRST - Credit: Archant

A post-mortem examination is due to take place tomorrow into the sudden death of a woman in her 50s.

The woman’s body was discovered on Monday morning at a house in Acheson Way, Aldeburgh, where a 90-year-old man was also found, having suffered a serious head injury.

Police said formal identification of the woman had not yet to taken place but officers believed her to be wife of the injured man.

Next of kin for both people have been contacted by police.

The couple have been named locally as Connie and John Hewitson who are understood to have lived at the property.

You may also want to watch:

Officers investigating Mrs Hutchinson’s death, which is still being treated as unexplained, said this afternoon that the Home Office post-mortem investigation is due to take place tomorrow.

Mr Hewitson remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Most Read

People living in Acheson Way said Mrs Hewitson had been a carer for her husband, who had dementia and was partially blind.

One woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said she was an attentive carer.

“She was absolutely devoted to him,” the woman added. “She was extremely kind to everyone in the close. Lots of people knew her.

“She made it her job every Sunday evening to put the bins out for everyone. She was a really nice lady. I will miss her terribly.”

It is believed the couple met at a Chinese restaurant in Woodbridge where Mrs Hewitson, who is originally from the Far East, worked at the time.

Neighbours of the couple said Mr Hewitson worked for a train company before his retirement and had children and grandchildren from a previous marriage. Mrs Hewitson is also believed to have had a daughter from a previous relationship.

People living in the street described how emergency crews rushed to the scene on Monday morning.

“There were ambulances, police and fire engines, and teams with gloves and masks,”one woman said

Officers are continuing to treat the death as unexplained at this time.

Witnesses or anybody who has any information that could assist are asked to call Police on 101 quoting CAD 118 of 15 October.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus