Suffolk: Raunchy 50 Shades of Grey tops the list of most borrowed books from the county’s libraries
- Credit: Gregg Brown
It shocked the nation when first published – but apparently Suffolk bookworms can’t get enough of it.
Since hitting the shelves in 2011 EL James’ erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey and its sequels have sold tens of millions of copies globally.
And as rumours of a film version gather pace it appears Suffolk readers are still enthralled by the book.
A list of the top ten most borrowed library books in the county has put Fifty Shades at the top of the rankings.
It’s one of only two books to make the national top ten, placing third. The other is The Affair by Lee Child, which heads the overall table but only makes ninth in Suffolk’s charts.
Alison Wheeler, general manager of Suffolk Libraries, said: “It’s interesting to see that crime and romance fiction is still flourishing and that Suffolk library users enjoy bestsellers.
“Looking further than the top ten there is still a good sprinkling of literary fiction and Scandinavian writers in the top 100 books.
- 1 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 2 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 3 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after death of child
- 6 Army carries out controlled explosion of dummy tank shell in west Suffolk
- 7 McKenna delighted to see Town win game of 'aggressive chaos'
- 8 Man dies following two-vehicle crash in west Suffolk town
- 9 Strike threat could leave East Suffolk bins overflowing
- 10 Major Suffolk employer looks to move into A14 warehouse
“The key thing for us is being able to offer people a choice.
“We work hard to ensure that we provide books that we know are popular and to be able to meet more specific requests, perhaps for books by local authors or on specific subjects.”
There are 88 copies of 50 Shades of Grey in Suffolk, along with four spoken word versions, two large print and one polish language edition.