Schools in Suffolk to remain closed amid high winds - All Saints CEVCP School among latest to announce closure or delayed start
Several schools in Suffolk are to remain closed or open later this morning amid high winds.
Elveden, Forest Academy and Charsfield primary schools had all announced changes to opening by 7.30am on Suffolk County Council’s website.
Charsfield said the school had a power cut and so Breakfast Club had been cancelled this morning.
“Registration has currently been extended to 9.30am,” it added.
“UK Power will be attending the school to assess the situation and further updates will be given in due course.”
You may also want to watch:
By 8.10am, Breckland high school and Wenhaston primary school had also announced closures.
Great Tey Church of England School near Colchester has also closed due to a power cut.
- 1 Coleman on Cook: 'If that's indication of his fortune as Ipswich manager, they can book a place in the Championship'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 2-1 win at Accrington Stanley
- 3 Popular Woodbridge restaurant set to close
- 4 'I have no doubt Ipswich will be successful' - Richardson doesn't rule out joining Cook at Town
- 5 'Please don't believe everything you read in the media' - Ipswich Town owner Evans addresses takeover reports
- 6 Ipswich case rate rises, other Suffolk districts among lowest in England
- 7 Marcus Evans on Paul Cook: 'He has shown a great desire to become our next manager'
- 8 Man taken to hospital with serious leg injuries following collision
- 9 Anger over loss of habitats after pond drained and trees felled
- 10 'Hard work starts now' as East Anglian Freeport gets green light
Further closures and delays have since been announced for Crawfords; Reydon; Rattlesden Church; Great Barton Church Forest Academy; Barningham CEVCP School; All Saints CEVCP School and Ipswich Academy.
At Ipswich Academy, years eight, nine and 10 are being asked to go into school at 11.30am, while years seven and 11 started at normal time.
The high winds have brought widespread disruption to the region, including the closure of the Orwell Bridge and several other roads, rail service cancellations and power cuts.
All Saints CEVCP School in Bury St Edmunds announced it would be closing at 11.45am as they could not confirm a time when power would be reconnected and were unable to provide hot school meals to pupils. They have since announced been told that power may take up to 48 hours to restore and will keep parents up to date with developments.
Visit Suffolk County Council’s school closure list for more details.
More to follow.