Strongman qualifies for world championships in Norway
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk strongman will compete at the World’s Strongest Disabled Man Championships in Norway after successfully qualifying at the weekend.
Chris Rix, 32, from Alpheton, near Sudbury, finished third overall in his category in the Viking Disabled Strength Challenge in Iceland, which was good enough to earn him a shot at the world championships.
The event in Hafnarfjördur, 10km from Reykjavik, was run by Arnar Mar Jonsson – founder of Disabled Strongman – and Magnus Ver Magnusson – four-time World’s Strongest Man.
Mr Rix’s trip to Iceland, with parents Julie and Peter, got off to a bad start on Friday as the flight from Stansted was among the many delayed by the weather and meant they were more than four hours late arriving.
Mr Rix, who has cerebral palsy, took part in five disciplines and recorded a time of 28 seconds in the 20-metre van pull, seated on the ground.
He lifted 25kg dumbbells, just missing out on 30kg, achieved three repetitions of 72kg in the log lift, lifted 30kg and 40kg atlas stones – and hit 80kg on each arm for 14.9 seconds in the Hercules Hold.
Mr Rix, who works at Tesco in Sudbury, and trains at Zest in the town, will now travel to Norway for the championships on September 8.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
The strongman is looking for more sponsorship to support his efforts.
Sudbury company TGA sponsors his training, but he is hoping for more support for accommodation and travel costs for the Norway trip.
To help with costs, Mr Rix has organised a fundraising truck pull at Nethergate Brewery in Long Melford on Saturday, August 18, starting at midday.