Suffolk/UK: Joy for Ed Sheeran as Framlingham singer’s album becomes longest-running number one of the year
- Credit: Owen Sweeney/Invision/AP
Ed Sheeran’s new album X became the longest-running number one album of the year last night.
The singer-songwriter’s second album has sold more than 367,000 copies in the UK and has now spent four weeks at the top since it was released in June, according to the UK’s Official Charts Company.
The Suffolk musician has stolen the record from Paolo Nutini, whose album Caustic Love spent three weeks at the top of the charts in April.
Meanwhile Manchester boyband Rixton has stormed to the top of the singles chart with their first record - a moment that will be forever etched in their memories and on their skin after promising fans to mark the occasion with a tattoo.
The foursome, made up of Frontman Jake Roche, Charley Bagnall on guitar, Danny Wilkin on bass and keyboard and Lewi Morgan on drums, will each get an inking of a broken heart tonight, after learning their pop song Me And My Broken Heart reached number one.
You may also want to watch:
While Jake is getting his on his bicep and Charley’s will be etched on his rib, a nervous Lewi will get his marking on his thumb, while Danny hopes to hide his from his parents by having it done on his thigh.
Jake, the son of singer and actor Shane Ritchie and The Nolans singer Coleen Nolan, told OfficialCharts.com: “Being Number One is probably the biggest thing ever that has happened to us in our lives.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 9 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 10 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M
“And it means a lot because it’s in our home country, and that’s something that’s been the main goal for us, to really make an impact. It’s a dream. Thank you to everyone who has bought it for your support.”
The boyband knocked It’s My Birthday by will.i.am FT Cody Wise off the chart summit after just one week on top, while by Ariana Grande FT Iggy Azalea is a non-mover at number two.
Other new entries include Nicole Scherzinger’s latest single Your Love, coming in at number six, and former Rudimental collaborator Ella Eyre in at 16 with new solo single, If I Go.
In the albums chart, Ed Sheeran’s non-mover meant Morrissey claimed the second spot with his critically acclaimed tenth solo album, World Peace Is None Of Your Business.