Susan aiming to visit all of district’s 118 parishes
- Credit: Archant
A district’s first citizen has set herself a challenge for her year in office – to visit every town and parish in the area.
Susan Harvey, chairman of Suffolk Coastal District Council, is appealing for local event organisers to let her know what is going on in the area, so she can pay them a visit.
She said: “I feel it is a great privilege to be elected as chairman to represent this fantastic part of Suffolk.
“When I was elected, I said I would like to promote the good things about Suffolk Coastal during my time in office.
“I believe one of our strengths of this area is our great community spirit, so I have set myself the challenge of visiting all 118 parishes in Suffolk Coastal during my year as chairman. There are a lot of great things going on out there in the communities. I want to do my bit to support them by getting out to as many events as possible.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Harvey has already attended a series of 12 events, including Melton Fete, Ufford Bygones and Grundisburgh Village Show, but is keen to tick more parishes off her list.
She said: “I have received a great welcome at all the events I have already attended. The people have all been very positive, friendly and welcoming.
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 See inside abandoned hotel with swimming pool as it goes up for auction
- 10 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
“They are genuinely pleased to see me at their event and are interested in what Suffolk Coastal is doing, as well as my role as chairman.
“Now the challenge is to find out what is going on in all the different communities and to get round and visit as many of them as possible, to promote the event, celebrate great community spirit and support the hard work of the organisers.”
Mrs Harvey has lived in Kirton for 38 years, and became a Suffolk Coastal councillor in 2011, after serving for 30 years on Kirton and Falkenham Parish Council.