Girl, 12, ‘narrowly escaped with her life’ after suspected arson attack on caravan
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A young girl was lucky to escape after the caravan she was sleeping in burst into flames in what police believe to be an arson attack in Jaywick.
The 12-year-old is currently being treated for serious burns following the fire, which happened at around 2am on Thursday, September 20.
Police, firefighters and paramedics arrived to find the caravan, Humber Avenue, Jaywick, alight.
Detective Sergeant Dan Jeffries said: “This was a callous act where a young girl was seriously injured and narrowly escaped with her life.
“We ask that witnesses or anyone who saw suspicious activity in the area around the time of the incident, contacts us, so that we can bring the person responsible for this crime, to justice.”
You may also want to watch:
A 15-year-old boy from Clacton was arrested on suspicion of arson and has been released on bail until October 18.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Clacton CID on 101, quoting reference 42/136596/18.
Information can also be given completely anonymously to independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 9 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop