Suspects in Chantry gun drama bailed
DETECTIVES have released five suspects on police bail after questioning them for more than 24 hours following a report of shots being fired near Chantry High School in Ipswich.
The four men and male youth were released overnight.
Police officers are said to have recovered a number of weapons following searches at properties as part of their inquiries.
Richard Jones, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary, today said: “Police can confirm that the four men from Ipswich and one man from London, arrested on Monday on suspicion of being in possession of a firearm, have been released on police bail pending further enquiries.
“The arrests followed investigations into an incident, which occurred at approximately 11:50am on Monday at the junction of Mallard Way and Stone Lodge Lane West, Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
“The men aged 21, 24 and 30 years old and from Ipswich are due to return to Ipswich police station on Monday, July 19, at 2pm, 12pm and 10am respectively.
“The 27-year-old man from Ipswich and the 17-year-old man from London are due to return to Ipswich Police Station on Tuesday, July 20, at 10am and 11am respectively.”
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 3 Busy high street taped off by police
- 4 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 5 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 7 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 8 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 9 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 10 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
The arrests came after armed police were called to Chantry High in Mallard Way after reports of men brandishing weapons near to the junction of Stone Lodge Lane West.
The original call came from a member of staff at Chantry High School and subsequent investigations led to the arrests of the first four men.
It is believed the incident involved a car and at least one young man on a bicycle.
During the incident a BMW is said to have crashed through a hedge in the front garden of a property in Mallard Way.
Anyone with any information which could help the inquiry is asked to telephone Ipswich CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.