Temporary one-way sytem introduced in Elmstead Road, Wivenhoe as roadworks continue in Colchester Road
- Credit: Archant
Changes are being made to a diversion put in place when roadworks started in Colchester Road, Wivenhoe after concerns were raised about safety along the route.
From 10am tomorrow cars will only be able to travel southbound along Elmstead Road, between the junction with Brightlingsea Road and the Colchester Road intersection.
Essex County Council have closed Colchester Road to build a new cycle link.
However, safety concerns have been raised when traffic, included buses, was diverted along the smaller Elmstead Road.
Motorists have been seen driving onto the verges to pass one another.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Rodney Bass, Essex County Council cabinet member for infrastructure said: “Having monitored the traffic along Elmstead Road and listened to local concerns, we have arranged to make Elmstead Road one-way during the course of the roadworks for the introduction of the new cycleway on Colchester Road, scheduled to be completed at the end of March.
“This will allow the majority of local bus services to continue their services and will mitigate the current safety concerns.”
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 9 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 10 Photos released in connection with two indecent exposure incidents
The proposal to close the stretch of Colchester Road between the junctions with Elmstead Road and Vine Drive, for up to six weeks during the work, will now be scrapped The council said it hopes this will significantly reduce any impact on local businesses.
The works are part of a scheme to construct a shared pedestrian and cycle link between Wivenhoe and the University of Essex.
The link will run from Wivenhoe fire station running alongside Colchester Road to the University campus.