Thatched cottage saved by fire crews
AN ANCIENT cottage dating back 500 years was saved from being burnt to the ground yesterday when a pub-goer spotted the fire.A villager from Whatfield, near Hadleigh, saw the blaze in the roof of the cottage and fire crews were quickly alerted to stop it from spreading.
By Richard Smith
AN ANCIENT cottage dating back 500 years was saved from being burnt to the ground yesterday when a pub-goer spotted the fire.
A villager from Whatfield, near Hadleigh, saw the blaze in the roof of the cottage and fire crews were quickly alerted to stop it from spreading.
The fire started at the property in Whatfield Road, Naughton, and was seen by a drinker in the Wheelhouse pub next door.
You may also want to watch:
Angela Allen, cottage owner, praised both the drinker and the fire crews who attended the blaze at 2.30pm.
Ms Allen said: ''I was not in the property at the time - I was only gone about half an hour. The firemen have done an excellent job, they have done very well indeed.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 5 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 6 Go-ahead for 150 new homes in Suffolk village
- 7 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 8 Teenager who was diagnosed with cancer on birthday still chasing dream of becoming chef
- 9 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
- 10 Get lost in two sunflower mazes at this Suffolk farm
''They have to be admired for what they have done and I hope they are getting triple-time for this.''
She has lived in the cottage for eight years and said it was believed to be about 500 years old. Ms Allen watched as firemen cut away thatch from the roof and stopped the fire spreading through the single-storey property.
Fire crews from Needham Market and Hadleigh teamed up with two crews from the Princes Street station in Ipswich to tackle the blaze.
They say the fire is believed to have started from the stove flue.
Paul Seager, assistant divisional officer, said: ''It looks like the fire has come from the solid fuel wood-burning stove. It appears there was a break down in the flue and hot smoke and gases have come up and ignited the thatch.
''There was nobody in the house at the time and luckily somebody in the pub noticed it. They called us and we were able to arrive before the roof was fully alight. We have taken off about 15 to 20% of the roof to get back to clean straw.''
The firemen received the call at 2.31pm and they spent an hour at the cottage. Police officers attended and closed the road.