Two people taken to hospital as ‘precaution’ after blaze at Suffolk guest house
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have tackled a huge blaze at a large guest house near Bury St Edmunds.
The fire service was initially called shortly after 6.20pm to reports of the blaze at The Highwaymans in Risby.
Crews arrived to find the first floor well alight.
A total of 15 fire crews were called to the scene to tackle the “substantial” fire, including an aerial unit and water storage unit.
Dale Willings, Station Commander for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We were called here to reports of a fire in the first floor living space above a swimming pool.
You may also want to watch:
“Two appliances were sent and that swelled to six appliances as well as an aerial unit from Cambridgeshire and a support unit as well.
“They arrived to find a well developed fire in the first floor accommodation space.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 9 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 10 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
“The property had been evacuated on arrival and we used breathing apparatus to tackle the fire and make sure that everyone was out and safe.
“Two occupants have been taken to hospital for precautionary checks for smoke inhalation.
“We have been here for around two hours but will be scaling back shortly.
“It has been tough due to the heat of the day and we faced an intense fire.”
“We have 12 or 14 people using breathing apparatus to tackle the fire and we are now using the aerial unit to dampen down any hotspots and cut away to make sure we haven’t missed any hot areas.”
The building is understood to be a self-catering hotel, which is set in picturesque grounds.
On The Highwaymans’ website, it says: “If you are looking for the ideal venue in Suffolk close to Bury St Edmunds and Newmarket that can accommodate up to 30 people sleeping then Highwaymans is your place.”
Fire crews from Bury St Edmunds, Haverhill, Cambridge, Wickhambrook, Ixworth, Mildenhall and Newmarket have been at the scene.
The blaze was said to be under control by 9.15pm.