Mysterious thieves steal £18,000 food trailer, leaving seven young people jobless
- Credit: Archant
“Devastated” young people in need have been left jobless after brazen thieves stole their food trailer.
The Mix Stowmarket bought the £18,000 trailer earlier this year to help plug a financial black hole when Suffolk County Council cut £60,000 of funding.
As well as a business venture to bring in £10,000 a year to the charity which works to improve the life of chances of youngsters, it also gave those in need of work some valuable experience and income.
But the theft of the trailer, which provided catering at events around Suffolk, has not only deprived the charity of much-needed income but left young people without a job when they need it most.
Even though the trailer was insured, it would take several months for it to be replaced - which operations and youth work director Dave Hannah said would be too late.
You may also want to watch:
“It brings in money that funds our youth work - but it also gives young people jobs,” he said.
“We were dependent on it bringing in £10,000 this year.
- 1 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 5 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 8 Crash between two motorbikes
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing
“We’ve known for a number of years that the funding cut was coming - that’s why we put this plan in place to get a catering trailer.
“It cost £18,000 and while we’re sure the insurance will cover that, it will take three and a half months to build.
“By the time we’ve got it, we’ll have missed all those events that we’d booked in - and that means we will have to stop youth services and lay off staff.”
That means seven young people working on the 8ft x 12ft food trailer will now no longer have employment.
But the loss in revenue could cost the wider charity as well.
“It isn’t just us losing business. It’s us losing potential services for young people,” he added.
“It’s not just a trailer where we make money. It will have a bigger impact on the lives of those young people.”
CCTV footage shows a black estate car pulling up at the locked car park in Needham Road, Stowmarket, where the trailer was stored, at 8.32pm on Saturday, August 4.
It then shows the thieves driving off with the trailer at 8.36am.
Anyone with information should call Suffolk police on 101.