The Mix youth centre in Stowmarket gets ready for its grand opening with winter wonderland evening
- Credit: Archant
A new £5million youth centre is set to transform into a winter wonderland for its grand opening night.
Staff at The Mix in Stowmarket are making the final arrangements for tomorrow evening’s event, which is promising a range of Christmas-themed activities and performances.
The centre will be filled with Christmas trees, fairy lights, snowflakes and even live owls.
There will be a guest appearance from Olaf – a character from the hit Disney film Frozen – and live music provided by local band Polar Collective and Christmas songs from the Stowmarket Brass Band.
Leah Kurta, executive manager for The Mix, said: “The ultimate vision for The Mix is to become the leading destination in Suffolk where young people can come to build their confidence, their skills and experience a wealth of creativity.
You may also want to watch:
“The young people we have been working with have been very busy this year, creating films, photography and games and arranging their own events. We want to give them a chance to celebrate and for the community to see and experience some of their amazing achievements.”
To add to the evening’s timetable, there will be a fashion show by Dream On women’s charity and a performance from Stowmarket’s The Art of Urban Movement dance group.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 8 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 9 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
It will also be a chance for residents to have a look at some of the work the youngsters who use the centre have produced over the past few months.
Ms Kurta highlighted the need for the centre, which is a registered charity, to raise funds. On the night there will be fundraising auction and raffle.
The centre supports young people aged between 11 and 19 and up to 25 for those with additional needs.
The free event will run tomorrow between 5.30pm and 9pm. For information call 01449 745130.