Road now clear after crash on island crossing
Motorists experienced delays between Colchester and Mersea Island earlier today after a crash on The Strood.
The road, which links the town with Mersea Island, was blocked for a short while near the Peldon Rose Inn to allow emergency crews to work at the scene.
Witnesses reported seeing several police cars and ambulances heading up to the scene at around 9am.
Drivers using the route experienced delays in both directions between Mersea Road and East Mersea Road, but the road has since cleared.
The StroodCam, set up to help people monitor crossing times, showed a police car on blue lights parked up at the scene at around 9.45am.
You may also want to watch:
Recovery has arrived for one of the vehicles involved.
It is not clear yet if anyone has been hurt, or how seriously.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 7 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
• Check back for updates on this developing story as we receive more information from the emergency services.