‘Think about our Amy’ – millions watch family’s drug warning video after death of ‘cheeky and caring’ Colchester woman Amy Vigus
- Credit: Archant
The heartbroken family of a “beautiful and caring” Colchester woman who died after taking an unknown drug in a “moment of madness” have reached millions of people with a powerful video warning others to think twice.
Former Gilberd School pupil Amy Vigus, 20, died on Monday in Colchester General Hospital’s intensive care unit after taking what she thought was MDMA.
She had travelled to London on Saturday with friends for the Elrow Town music event.
It was there she “made a mistake” and took the unknown substance after being led to believe it was MDMA – but her body rejected the drug and she fell seriously ill.
She was vomiting and fitting, but somehow managed to get home to Colchester.
She collapsed shortly after arriving, with her parents forced to perform CPR on her at their home.
Amy was then rushed to hospital where she later died after falling into a coma.
- 1 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 2 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 3 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 4 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
- 5 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 6 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 7 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 8 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 9 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 10 'That is the calibre'- Oxford boss on potential transfer move for Norwood
Now her devastated family have spoken out to warn others of the consequences of making the wrong choice.
A hard-hitting video clip sharing her story was posted on social media on Thursday and has since racked up more than two million views.
Called Our Amy, the four minute video tells viewers what happened to her in a bid to make people think twice about taking drugs.
The video’s voiceover, believed to be Amy’s cousin, says: “In a moment of madness she took an unknown substance she was led to believe was the party drug MDMA.
“She continued to socialise and smile then she began to pay for her mistake.
“Amy’s body rejected whatever unknown substance she had taken.
“This led to her being violently sick and fitting multiple times.
“Our Amy managed to make it home where she collapsed one more time.”
The voiceover adds: “In that moment of madness when she took an unknown substance our Amy had no idea it would have led to this.
“She will not be celebrating Christmas anymore, she will not be celebrating her 21st birthday.
“She will not be buying her parents Mother’s or Father’s Day cards.
“She will never know the pain she has caused.
“The next time you’re in that moment, please, stop and think about our Amy and the consequences of her mistake.”
Can’t thank you enough: Fundraising campaign smashes target
A crowdfunding appeal set up to thank Colchester General Hospital for their efforts to save Amy had smashed its target within hours of being shared on social media.
Raising 500% more money than the original £500 goal, over 100 people have donated money to the page.
Friends and former colleagues have left tributes to Amy via the appeal.
A message posted on the page states: “Colchester (General Hospital’s) intensive care unit provided amazing care for Amy when she was taken to hospital.
“We can’t thank the staff enough for their incredible support and attention they gave Amy and her family.”
More than £3,000 had been donated online by 152 supporters as of 6.30am today.
Every penny raised will go to the Colchester Hospitals Charity (CoHoC).
Make a donation by visiting the page.