Three men arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by police after Leicester blast
- Credit: PA
Three men – including one from East Anglia – have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by police investigating the cause of the explosion and fire in Leicester on Sunday evening.
Officers from Leicestershire Police have been investigating the cause of the explosion, which happened at a Polish supermarket with two flats above it in Hinckley Road just after 7pm.
Five people, including three members of the same family, are believed to have died.
Five people were also taken to hospital after the blast.
The two other men arrested hail from the north west and the east midlands, according to police.
You may also want to watch:
The three men, all aged in their 30s, are currently being questioned by detectives.
Police stressed that there remains no evidence that the incident was terror-related.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 6 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 7 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 8 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 9 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 10 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
A Leicestershire Police statement said: “No further details will be released about these individuals at this stage.
“We acknowledge that the terrible events of Sunday night in Hinckley Road have attracted significant public, political and media interest.
“However, in the interests of the ongoing investigation, and out of respect for the families of those missing feared dead, and those who were injured in the explosion and fire, we request that the media and public resist speculating about the identities of those arrested, the circumstances that may have led to their arrest and the cause of the explosion.
“Whilst we will not disclose further details at this stage, we stress that there remains no evidence that the events of Sunday night are in any way terrorist related.”