Three-storey apartment block could be coming to Bury St Edmunds
A bid to build a three-storey apartment block close to the town centre in Bury St Edmunds is back on.
The proposal, which has been submitted to St Edmundsbury Borough Council, would see the building of 16 one-bedroom and three two-bedroom apartments following the demolition of the existing property at 5A Kings Road.
The application from Richard Ames, of Richard Ames Developments, which includes six units of affordable housing, is the renewal of a previously approved scheme that expired almost a month ago.
Writing in a design and access statement that formed part of the initial application, a spokesman for architects and project management firm, Lynwood Associates, said the project would provide “low-cost residential units in a town centre environment providing a much- needed source for the first time buyers’ market.”
The plans indicate that the building, which would replace an existing residential and retail unit, would be ‘Z’ shaped and provide an open area to the nearest neighbours.
You may also want to watch:
The architects said that the design of the building “accords favourably” with existing buildings and highlights the presence of taller existing buildings nearby.
A spokesman added: “To provide further interest to the street scene elevation, both red pantiles and slate roofing have been specified.”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 5 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 9 Elections 2021: Tim Passmore re-elected Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner
- 10 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
A decision is due to be made on the application in March 2015.