First look at latest shopping village plans with cinema and boutique hotel
- Credit: Corstorphine + Wright
This is how a new shopping village with an eight-screen cinema, bowling centre, 60-bed boutique hotel and a wide range of restaurants near Colchester could look if given the go-ahead.
Tollgate Partnership Ltd has unveiled its latest plans for the new Tollgate Village, at Stanway, part of which is on the former Sainsbury's site.
As well as a balanced range of shops, it also includes offices and electric vehicle charging points - and is set to create 880 new jobs.
Plans for the shopping village - which developers believe could generate £26million for the local economy, by keeping shoppers local - were first drawn up a decade ago, with several changes made over that time.
It had been granted a planning appeal and announced The Light cinema as its first operator when the coronavirus crisis struck.
You may also want to watch:
Jayne Gee and Daniel Watts, directors of the family-run Tollgate Partnership Ltd, said: "Since then, we have been proactive in reimagining Tollgate Village to meet increased demand to work and shop locally and to spend precious leisure time closer to home.
“Our revised plans for the phased development will create a destination that is even more attractive, innovative and exciting than the original and we hope people will take the chance to comment when we reveal the detail."
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
They are now launching a public consultation on the latest plans, with the pair saying: "Once we have gathered feedback, we will seek planning permission on the final proposals in the spring.”
They added: “We are really excited to reveal our 2021 vision for Tollgate Village.
"At the heart of the Stanway Growth Area, the development is vibrant, sustainable and closely matched to the needs of our growing community and the wider local economy."
Ms Gee added: “We are based in Stanway and the views of the local community are really important to us.
"Sadly, the Covid-19 restrictions mean we are unable to hold a traditional public exhibition of our proposals.
"Next week we will release details of our virtual consultation, which will run until May 18, and information about two webinars where everyone can pose questions about the emerging proposals.
"All feedback received will be considered as the final proposals are developed.”