Tour de Tendring: Bike tour promises a festival atmosphere
CYCLISTS and spectators from across the county are saddling up for the annual Tour de Tendring as organisers put the finishing touches to the line-up.
Around 1,000 cyclists are expected to take part in either the 20-mile or the 50-mile routes which cover some of the county’s most picturesque countryside.
But organisers are trying to encourage a festival-style atmosphere at this year’s event with dance performances, musical theatre shows, workshops, stands for a range of community clubs and societies, and even African drumming.
These will be on offer at the start and finish point at Dovercourt Swimming Pool in Low Road.
The event on Sunday, May 22, run by Tendring District Council, Essex County Council, Essex Legacy from the 2012 Games and NHS North East Essex, is trying to promote health and well-being across the county.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Stephen Mayzes said: “It is important that we top the 1,000 riders figure and would therefore like to urge residents and people further afield to sign-up and take part in this event.
“It is planned to create more of a festival feel this year so that non-riders can also join in the fun.”
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 3 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 6 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 7 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 8 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 9 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 10 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
There is still time to sign up for the ride by going to www.bike-events.com or picking up a form at TDC offices, leisure centres, libraries or village halls.