Tour of Britain stage 5 time trial in Clacton
- Credit: Archant
Some of the world’s top cyclists will do battle on the streets of Clacton today in a bid to win stage 5 of the Tour of Britain – and our team is covering it live.
Today’s stage is a time trial, meaning the 114 riders (providing none have retired overnight) are racing against the clock to set the fastest time round the 10-mile course, rather than each other.
The first rider – usually whoever is placed last overall in the Tour – will set off at midday, with riders then setting off at regular intervals. The last is due to finish at around 2.30pm.
Team Sky’s Elia Viviani is in the overall lead, meaning the green jersey-wearer will be last down the start ramp, but with Orica-Scott’s Caleb Ewan on the same time and third-placed Fernando Gaviria (Quick Step) and Dimension Data’s Edvald Boasson Hagen just six and seven seconds behind respectively, the overall leader could well change.
Time trial specialists, such as Essex’s own Alex Dowsett and Germany’s Tony Martin, will be looking to take a stage win.
On the flat course, much could come down to any coastal winds along the seafront section of the route – which may vary during today’s racing.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 6 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 7 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143