Tourism project £500,000 bid for Suffolk coast approved by cabinet
- Credit: Archant
Community leaders have agreed to apply for funding for a series of projects to boost all-year-round tourism in the coastal area of Suffolk.
The Coastal Communities Fund (CCF) – which uses income from the Crown Estate to fund projects supporting economic growth in coastal areas – is to be formally asked for £500,000 grant aid.
Suffolk Coastal council is taking the lead role in the grant bid and says the six projects identified could create 140 new jobs.
One ventures will be to spend £115,000 to develop the Suffolk Coast brand by working with destination management organisation, the Suffolk Coast Limited, to improve online and social media presence.
Agreeing the CCF bid, cabinet was told the organisation could “grow in the future, taking on some of the roles currently delivered by the council” with tourism continuing to grow year on year, including beyond the summer, with hopes this could be extended further.
You may also want to watch:
The other schemes will be £22,000 for a Children’s Film Festival run by Aldeburgh Cinema Trust each February; £75,327 for the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) team and Suffolk County Council to improve the Southwold-Covehithe path to attract walking tourists; £99,837 for a social enterprise to work with conservation charities to provide holiday packages with volunteering placements on sites around the AONB; £83,000 to expand Aldeburgh Food and Drink Festival, enlarging the existing event and enhancing year-round work with local producers; and £70,000 for a sculptural viewing platform at Aldeburgh Music at Snape to give views of the coastal landscape.
In a report, cabinet member for economic development Andy Smith said: “The project supports the development of new opportunities in the east Suffolk tourism economy by building on existing strengths, exploiting emerging niche markets and addressing weaknesses in the current offer.”
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 9 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 10 Photos released in connection with two indecent exposure incidents
Suffolk Coastal is setting up a project board to make the CCF bid and manage the initiatives.