Town in shock after stabbing
By Dave GooderhamA COMMUNITY was in shock last night after a woman was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following a stabbing on a housing estate.
By Dave Gooderham
A COMMUNITY was in shock last night after a woman was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following a stabbing on a housing estate.
A 41-year-old man was in a critical condition in hospital in Bury St Edmunds last night after being stabbed in the stomach.
Det Sgt Neil Firm, who is leading the investigation into the stabbing, said: “There was an altercation in Ben Culey Drive in Thetford, which led to a further altercation some minutes later.
“As a result of that altercation, a man received injuries to his stomach, resulting in him being taken to hospital where he underwent surgery. He remains in hospital.”
The man was stabbed in the stomach at about 6.30pm on Thursday and was taken to West Suffolk Hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery. His condition was described last night as “critical” by a police spokeswoman.
- 1 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
- 10 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
A 37-year old woman was arrested in connection with the incident and was being questioned last night by detectives at Thetford Police Station.
Thelma Paines, district councillor for the Abbey ward, who has lived in the town for 40 years, said the community was shocked by the incident.
She added: “I was very shocked and saddened to hear such a thing has happened in Thetford.
“Ben Culey Drive is a nice estate, fairly small and pretty quiet. I hope whoever was injured recovers quickly.”
Police investigating the incident spent yesterday searching gardens and drains for the weapon used in the stabbing.
Anyone with information about the stabbing should contact Thetford police on 01953 424242.