Injured swan on the line - Unusual reason for train delays
- Credit: PA
An injured swan on the line has caused train delays and cancellations on the main line to London today.
Greater Anglia said the swan was on the track between Ilford and Seven Kings this morning, and the RSPCA helped staff to move it to a place of safety.
“The swan was injured, and made its way on to the track,” a Greater Anglia spokeswoman said.
“We tried to move it, but it went under a stationary train, and we were trying to coax it out. It has now been moved.
“The RSPCA were on the site and are now caring for the swan.”
You may also want to watch:
The incident led to some lines being blocked, and Greater Anglia and Network Rail have apologised via Twitter to passengers affected by the disruption.
All lines have now been reopened, but some trains were still being delayed around noon. However, Greater Anglia said: “Normal services will be provided as soon as possible.”
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 4 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 8 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 9 31 miserable stats which sum up a largely miserable Ipswich Town season
- 10 Missing person from Braintree has been found
The 12.02 service from London Liverpool Street to Ipswich was cancelled as a result of the incident, while the 10.38 London Liverpool Street to Colchester train was delayed and was no longer calling at Colchester Town.
Passengers were commenting on the incident via Twitter. Nicholas Klingaman said: “Train delayed due to a swan on the line! That’s a new one.”