Tributes to tragic Piers
THE family of a man who died after allegedly being stabbed with a broken bottle in Witham have paid tribute to him.Piers Westmore, 31, died in Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford after the incident in the early hours of Sunday morning.
By Annie Davidson
THE family of a man who died after allegedly being stabbed with a broken bottle in Witham have paid tribute to him.
Piers Westmore, 31, died in Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford after the incident in the early hours of Sunday morning.
His grieving parents, Bernard and Joan, who live in Witham and his sister Joanna, said Mr Westmore was a devoted family man and a great lover of sport.
You may also want to watch:
He had lived in Witham since the age of five, had two daughters aged ten and 11 and a 15-year-old stepson.
Mr Westmore, of Osbert Road, Witham, was a machine assistant at The Finishing Company, a publishing distribution centre, in Witham.
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 6 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 9 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 10 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
A post mortem examination was due to be carried out last night.
Mr Westmore's wife, Michelle, was with him and a group of friends when the incident took place.
They were making their way home from a party and were walking along Guithavon Street, Witham, when Mr Westmore was allegedly accosted by a man opposite the Catholic Holy Family and All Saint's Church.
He suffered serious chest and abdominal injuries and died later in hospital.
Police launched a murder inquiry and specialist dog units and the force helicopter were bought to the area as searches were carried out. A broken bottle was recovered from the scene.
On Sunday afternoon, a 24-year-old man from Witham voluntarily attended the town's police station and was arrested on suspicion of murder.
Detectives were last night still questioning him.