UK: Royal couple cheered by crowds
Cheering crowds greeted royal newly-weds William and Kate as they were driven through the streets of London in an open-topped carriage.
William and his new princess smiled and waved at well-wishers lining the route from Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace after a historic fairytale ceremony.
And despite fears that rain would spoil the occasion, a shaft of sunlight fell across The Mall amid the joyous scenes as the radiant bride and her handsome prince laughed and smiled.
The future king and his beautiful bride, who will now one day be queen, pledged their love for one another in the ancient surroundings of the abbey, watched by billions across the globe.
In a stunning ivory gown with lace applique floral detail designed by Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen, Kate walked up the red carpeted aisle a commoner.
You may also want to watch:
But with her new husband at her side and a ring on her finger, the former Miss Middleton became HRH the Duchess of Cambridge - William was made a duke by the Queen this morning.
Kate left the abbey a princess, the newest member of the royal family and a future Queen Catherine.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 4 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 6 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 7 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 8 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 9 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 10 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
She was dubbed “Waity Katie” for her patience during her long courtship with William as she waited for her prince to pop the question.
Today she finally became a royal wife.
As she recited her vows, William smiled encouragingly.
The service was flawless but there was a tiny moment of drama as the prince struggled to place the ring on Kate’s finger.