Man accused of rape at University of Essex set to stand trial
- Credit: ARCHANT
A jury has been empanelled in the trial of a 24-year-old man accused of raping a woman at student halls at the University of Essex in Colchester last year.
Before Ipswich Crown Court is Sultan Mohammed, of Almond Way, Colchester, who has denied raping a woman in Annan Road, which is where the University of Essex’s Meadows student halls are located.
The charge relates to an alleged sex attack by an intruder at the Meadows student halls at about 6am on October 3 last year.
Mohammed was arrested on Friday, October 5 and charged with rape.
A jury was empanelled this morning (Monday, April 8) and was sent away until this afternoon when prosecution counsel,Andrew Thompson, is expected to open the case.
You may also want to watch:
Judge David Pugh told the jury the trial was expected to last three or four days.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 7 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 8 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 9 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 10 'It wasn't good for all our hearts' - Roberts delight after Town comeback win