Update: Body of man believed in his eighties recovered from the River Deben in Woodbridge
- Credit: citizenside.com
Police are trying to piece together the final moments the led to a man’s death in one of Suffolk’s most picturesque beauty spots.
The body of a man in his eighties was found in the River Deben in Woodbridge late this morning.
Both the police and the coastguard were responding to a call from a member of the public who had believed they had seen a body in the river.
It is understood the man, from the Ipswich area, was near a boat before his death.
Thames Coastguard was contacted by Suffolk police to help assist them with locating the body, who tasked the Felixstowe coastguard rescue team to the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Helicopters hovered above the usually peaceful river while the emergency services tried to find the body that had been spotted near to New Quay Lane.
A Suffolk police spokeswoman said: “Police were called by a member of the public at just after 10.15am on Friday, December 12 with a report they had seen what they believed to be a body in the river.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 3 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 4 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 5 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 8 Elections 2021: Tim Passmore re-elected Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner
- 9 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 10 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
“Police and the Coastguard Agency attended with the assistance of the police helicopter and Sea King helicopter to try to locate the body.
“At approximately 11.30am the body of a man, believed to be in his eighties, was recovered from the water and taken to Ipswich Hospital where he was sadly pronounced deceased.
“Until such time as a post mortem examination has taken the place and the cause of death has been ascertained the man’s death will be treated as unexplained although it is not thought to be suspicious.
“The matter has been referred to the coroner and the man’s details will be released when an inquest opens in due course.”
Anyone with information in relation to the incident is asked to call Woodbridge CID on 101 quoting CAD 121 of 12/12/14.