Update: Bus chief ‘very concerned’ about assault victim
THE managing director of Ipswich Buses says he and his team are helping police with their investigation after a man was left in a critical condition after being assaulted on a bus last night.
Malcolm Robson said the route 10 bus, which had stopped in Defoe Road, Ipswich, at about 6.05pm when the incident occurred, had been impounded by police and was being treated as a crime scene.
Mr Robson said: “We are very concerned and upset about it. Our driver is back at work this morning and is very upset about it and we hope (the victim) makes a full recovery. “The vehicle has been impounded by police as it’s considered a crime scene. We’re doing what we can with witness statements and providing CCTV footage and are just helping the police in any way we can.”
Police continue to appeal for witnesses after the assault last night.
The man had been travelling on an Ipswich Buses service on route 10 when the bus stopped in Defoe Road at around 6.05pm and three male passengers pushed him from it.
You may also want to watch:
The man, in his 60s, suffered a head injury and has been taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment. His condition is described as critical.
The three males got off the bus and ran off into Macauley Road.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 3 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 4 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 5 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 8 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 9 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
Police set up a cordon around a patch of grass opposite the bus stop in Defoe Road and they also spoke with passengers on the bus, which had come from Tower Ramparts.
Officers were last night searching the area for the three men.
They have all been described as white, of medium build, about 5ft 7ins tall and in their late 20s.
One was wearing a woolly hat and a grey bomber jacket, another was wearing a grey hooded top under a jacket.
Officers are speaking to other passengers on the bus and have been searching the immediate area in an effort to locate the males. Anyone who may have seen the males running from the bus or in the nearby area should contact Ipswich CID on 101