Update: Colchester landslide continues to cause major delays on A12
- Credit: Archant
MOTORISTS are facing delays near Colchester following emergency repair works to a landslide.
One lane is closed and slow traffic is being reported on the A12 Colchester Bypass northbound.
An Essex police spokesman said rolling roadblocks were set up yesteday at 5pm between junction 27 and 28 on the A12.
He added: “Following further assessment the carriageway was completely closed while the fire service and the Highways Agency assessed the situation.
“One lane reopened at 6.45pm.”
A Highways Agency spokesperson said: “The recent severe weather has caused some soil to slip down the verge alongside the northbound A12 near Braiswick. Safety is our top priority and we closed lane one as soon as traffic levels allowed us to safely do so.
“Tonight, the northbound carriageway at junction 27, Spring Lane, will be closed from 8pm while immediate repair work is carried out.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 4 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 7 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 9 Plans submitted for Suffolk equestrian centre's new home
- 10 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
“This will involve the use of a large excavator and the closure will be in place for safety reasons. The work is due to be complete by 6am.
“Subject to ongoing investigation at the site, it is likely that a more permanent repair will be required in due course.”