Update: Man arrested on suspicion of arson after house fire in Mendlesham Green
- Credit: Archant
A 54-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson following a fire at a home in Mendlesham Green in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Police were called by the fire service around 12.50am with reports the property in Green Road was on fire, but that no one appeared to have been inside.
Officers attended and began enquiries and at around 3.30am, the 54-year-old man from the Mendlesham area was arrested in connection with the blaze.
He was taken into custody at Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre.
The fire started at around 12.15am, and was dealt with by two fire crews from Needham Market and Stowmarket.
The ground floor of the two-storey property was badly damaged by the fire, which had been stopped by 1.15am.
Enquiries are continuing into the fire and police are asking anyone who may have been in the area between 10pm Saturday night and 3am yesterday morning to come forward.
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 3 Suffolk cinema to allow dog owners to bring their pets to watch films
- 4 'Abandoned' cottage and studio up for sale after huge renovation
- 5 Evicted Suffolk family to move into £6,000 double-decker bus bought on eBay
- 6 Former Town striker Chopra out of retirement to join non-league club
- 7 The Range secures huge logistics hub at new A14 business park
- 8 Suspected wanted man chased through Suffolk village
- 9 'I just don't operate that way' - Town owner Steed tells it straight on first visit
- 10 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
Anyone with information should call Suffolk Police on 101.