Update: Murder investigation after man dies from head injuries in Chelmsford
DETECTIVES investigating the serious assault of a man in Chelmsford have launched a murder inquiry after he died earlier this afternoon.
The 27-year-old, from Albania but was living in the London area, was assaulted in Duke Street yesterday and was taken to Broomfield Hospital with a critical head injury.
Two men were initially arrested - a 31-year-old, from west London, has been released on bail until October and a 28-year-old man, from Chelmsford, remains in police custody.
Another man, aged 29, from Canvey Island, was arrested in the connection with the assault last night.
Officers from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate need to speak to any witnesses who were in the area at the time at around 3am yesterday morning.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Chief Inspector Lucy Robinson said: “I urgently need to speak to two men who can be seen on CCTV in the area at the time.
“They can be seen helping a man to his feet following the incident and I need to talk to them as they will have vital witness information.”
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 9 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 10 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point
Detectives need to speak to anyone who was in the City centre and saw the incident, involving a group of people, or has any other information.
They are asked to contact Essex police on 101, quoting “Operation Paint” and leave their contact details.