Update: Second arrest is made in Luke Durbin murder inquiry

A SECOND man has tonight been arrested by detectives investigating the murder of Luke Durbin who went missing after a night out in Ipswich in 2006.

A 25-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the murder of Luke Durbin in Suffolk earlier tonight. He has been taken to Martlesham police investigation centre for questioning.

A 40-year-old man is currently being detained in Ipswich after detectives went to a terraced house in Spring Road, near the junction with Grove Lane, at around 7.30am today.

This afternoon police cordoned off an area around a property in Redwald Road, Rendlesham, to enable searches to be carried out.

Sniffer dogs are understood to be searching inside and outside the property which is the former home of the suspect.

Police have stressed that the enquiries have no connection with the current occupants of the property.

A resident living near the Spring Road property said: “I was walking past the house at around 8.30am and saw a lot of police there. I was in shock.

Most Read

“I saw police taking papers out of the black and blue (wheelie) bins.

“They seemed to be taking some notes of the papers.”

During the morning officers and police forensic staff were seen going in and out of the house as they conducted a search of the premises and a police community support officer has remained outside throughout the day.

The 40-year-old suspect remains in custody at Martlesham police investigation centre.

Luke Durbin, who worked at a greengrocer’s in Aldeburgh, was reported missing to police by his mother on May 13, 2006. He was just 19 at the time of his disappearance.

Luke, of Hollesley, had failed to return home after a night out with friends in Ipswich on Thursday, May 11, 2006.

Extensive enquiries have taken place over the past six years and in 2010 the investigation was taken over by the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team.

Earlier this year, police released previously unpublished CCTV pictures of Mr Durbin, believing it would help to find out what happened to Luke.

The search for Luke was taken on by the major investigation team around two years ago.

In recent months, investigators have searched railway lines, retraced the route he is believed to have taken and searched an area surrounding Foxhall Stadium, near Ipswich, where someone reported seeing Luke. An address in Ipswich has also been searched.

New footage of Luke approaching a taxi just after midnight in Cardinal Park has been reviewed and released to the public in the hope that it would trigger someone’s memory.

Among the areas where officers have conducted inquiries was the bus station in Ipswich town centre, where Luke was captured on CCTV at 4am on Friday, May 12 as well as the area of Quay Side in Woodbridge.

This sighting was between 11am and 2pm on Saturday, May 13 near to the rear entrance to the Turban Centre car park.

This morning, Lisa Miller, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary, said: “Officers from the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team arrested a 40-year-old man at an address in east Ipswich.

“He has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of Luke Durbin and is currently being held in custody at the Martlesham Police Investigation Centre.

“Officers are carrying out a search of the address in east Ipswich.”

Click on the links at the top right hand corner of this story to see related news.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter