Update: Two families evacuated from their homes following vehicle workshop fire at Kingsford Business Centre in Layer Road, Colchester
- Credit: Archant
Two families living on either side of a burning vehicle workshop in Layer Road, Colchester have been evacuated as a precaution.
Firefighters in Colchester were called to a vehicle workshop at the Kingsford Business Centre this afternoon shortly after 3.30pm after reports that a fire had broken out.
Station officer Dave Barritt reported that the building was totally engulfed by the flames, and that various cylinders were involved, including one acetylene cylinder.
The fire was extinguished by 7.30pm, but a fire service spokesperson confirmed that firefighters would remain on site throughout the night to monitor the scene.
Station officer Barritt added: “A 150 metre exclusion zone is in place surrounding the building due to the acetylene cylinder involved in the fire. Two families living on either side of the workshop have been evacuated from their homes as a precaution.”
You may also want to watch:
Layer Road is currently closed at the Berechurch Hall Road junction while fire crews are on the scene.
The cause at this stage is unknown, with Essex firefighters and the police set to carry out an investigation in due course.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 5 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 6 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 7 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 8 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 9 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 10 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes