Update: Woman, 89, in hospital after being attacked by three masked men in Lakenheath home
- Credit: Archant
An 89-year-old woman is recovering in hospital after she was attacked by three masked men at her home in Lakenheath last night.
The victim, who has not been named, was knocked to the ground and suffered a cut to the head when the trio broke in to her home and made a demand for money.
The men searched the house before leaving through the back of the property. The incident took place between 7.45-8.05pm.
A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said: “The woman was in her living room when she heard a loud bang at her front door.
“She got up to see what was happening and saw three men running into her home. One of the men struck her, knocking her to the floor and made a demand for money. The men made a search before leaving via the back of the property. All three are described as wearing dark clothing and had their faces largely covered.”
The spokesman said officers found the victim with a cut to the head at her home after she made an emergency 999 call.
“She was taken to the West Suffolk hospital where she has been kept in overnight,” the force spokesman added.
- 1 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 2 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 3 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after death of child
- 6 Army carries out controlled explosion of dummy tank shell in west Suffolk
- 7 Chasing a treble, style shift and potential debut - Burton v Ipswich talking points
- 8 Man dies following two-vehicle crash in west Suffolk town
- 9 Strike threat could leave East Suffolk bins overflowing
- 10 'My darling boy' - Mum's tribute to six-month-old baby who died after crash
“The wound to her head has been described as about the size of a 50p piece.”
A police cordon set up around the house remains in place as forensic examination work continues.
An East of England Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We were called at 8.11pm to treat a woman in her 80s. Her injuries were not thought to be life-threatening but she was taken to West Suffolk General for further treatment.”
Officers are continuing enquiries to trace those responsible. They are asking anyone who was in the area between around 7.30pm and 8.30pm last night to come forward as they may have information that could assist.
Police are particularly keen to trace the occupants of a black Vauxhall car that was seen in the Back Lane area of Lakenheath at around 7.30pm last night.
The vehicle – believed to be an Astra or a similar model – is understood to have three male occupants inside. Police are keen to speak to them.
Call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.