Updated: Man re-bailed in James Attfield murder probe as police patrols on six month anniversary give no new leads

James Attfield, 33, from Colchester, who died after he was found with injuries in the town's Castle

James Attfield, 33, from Colchester, who died after he was found with injuries in the town's Castle Park - Credit: Archant

Essex Police has said no new information was offered to their patrols around central Colchester last night on the six-month anniversary since the murder of James Attfield.

Detectives and uniformed officers spoke to around 20 people in the area of Castle Park between 11pm last night and 6am this morning.

It was hoped they could speak to people who regularly use the park as a route home after a night out,

On March 29 James Attfield, from East Bay, Colchester, was found in Lower Castle Park, close to Guildford Road, with 102 stab wounds. The 33-year-old died a short time later at the scene.

Mr Attfield was last seen in the River Lodge pub, Middleborough, at 10pm the night before his body was discovered.

Yesterday his mother Julie Finch made a renewed appeal for people with information to come forward.

Det Ch Insp Simon Werrett, who is leading the murder investigation, said: “Understandably people have changed their journeys since the murder and fewer people walk or cycle through the park and surrounding areas late at night.

“But it was a valuable experience for me and the team to tour the area again and to talk to the people who were out and about.

Most Read

“Unfortunately no new information came to light but the people we spoke to were very supportive of our efforts.”

A total of 10 people from Colchester, Ipswich and Southend are on bail in connection with the murder investigation.

Anyone with information can call detectives at Essex Police on 101 and ask for extension 486160 or email scdappeals@essex.pnn.police.uk.

Alternatively they can ring Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. A £10,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of the person or people responsible for the murder remains in place from the charity.

A man, 19, who returned on bail today in connection with the murder has been rebailed until November 10 pending further enquiries.