Updated: Police name Suffolk woman who died after crashing at Brighton Speed Trials
POLICE have named a Suffolk woman who died after crashing at the world’s longest-running motorsport event.
Sussex Police say they believe the woman was Charlotte Tagg, of Beck Row.
The 38-year-old, who was racing with a 64-year-old man in a motorbike and sidecar, smashed into a barrier at Brighton Speed Trials on Saturday evening.
Emergency services were sent shortly after 6pm but the woman was confirmed dead shortly afterwards.
The male motorcyclist, from London, was taken to hospital, where he remains in a critical condition.
You may also want to watch:
A police investigation has begun into the incident, which happened when the motorbike and sidecar failed to stop at the end of the track in Madeira Drive, Brighton.
The Brighton Speed Trials, which have been running since 1905 and claims to be the longest-running motorsport event in the world, was cancelled immediately after the crash.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
A spokeswoman for the Brighton Speed Trials said: “We work incredibly hard throughout the year to ensure the safety standards are met.
“It’s a tragic accident that’s happened and we need to find out exactly what happened before we do anything else.
“Obviously, our condolences go out to the family of this woman. It’s awful and an horrendous thing to happen.
Sergeant Huw Watts, of Sussex Police’s road policing unit, said: “Although formal identification has not yet taken place we believe that the woman who tragically died at the Brighton Speed Trials is Charlotte. Our thoughts are with her friends and family at this time.
“We are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the collision and would still like to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident and has not yet spoken to police.”