US F-15D fighter jet from Lakenheath which crashed in Lincolnshire cost almost £29million
- Credit: Simon Parker
A fighter jet from a US air base in Suffolk left a bill of almost £29million ($44m) when it crashed, according to documents seen by the BBC.
The F-15D from RAF Lakenheath fell from the sky in October while on a training exercise. The pilot ejected safely but the plane crashed in a field near Spalding in Lincolnshire.
Documents released by the US Department of Defense under the Freedom of Information Act do not reveal what caused the crash.
The jet had been on a training exercise with another F-15D when it got into difficulty and went into a flat spin at 15,000ft (4,600m) above sea level at about 3.30pm on October 8.
The pilot, who had the rank of captain, ejected at about 6,000ft (1,830m) above sea level.
You may also want to watch:
The aircraft was on fire in a field a few hundred yards from the village school and housing after it crashed.
British Ministry of Defence officials from RAF Wyton in Cambridgeshire were in charge of cleaning the field at an estimated cost of £393,235 ($605,405).
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 4 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 5 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 6 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 7 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 8 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 9 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 Exit Interview: Ward was the model pro who started fast but simply ran out of steam
The environmental clean-up costs breakdown: excavation/removal of contaminated soil: £52,296 ($80,513); transfer of contaminated soil to landfill: £284,921 ($438,651); reinstatement of topsoil: £55,373 ($85,250); labour and equipment costs: £644 ($991).
The USAF will pay for 75% of the clean-up, with the remaining 25% paid by the British Ministry of Defence.
A USAF spokesman at RAF Lakenheath said the accident investigation board had yet to finish its study into the cause of the crash.